The Taste of Fall.

10.28.2011

If you recall, I wrote a Restaurant Review for a place called Bandera and I raved about the magical corn bread. My wonderful sister-in-law, whose anniversary we were celebrating in that post found this and now the entire family is addicted. It's really just dessert disguised as corn bread. We'll probably turn into corn bread before Autumn is over. 
I thought I'd share:
Bandera Corn Bread Clone 
from Food.Com
Ingredients: 
(serves 16 or just me and my sister...)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
3/4 cup of whole corn (fresh or frozen)
2 ounces green chili peppers (1/2 small can, roasted syle)
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (shredded)
4 eggs
Directions:
1. Prehead oven & 12 " cast iron skillet to 300 degrees.
2. Mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. Melt butter and combine with sugar, creamed corn and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. Add whole corn and cheese. Fold-in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
3. Carefully remove cast iron skillet from oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. Pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
4. Bake 30-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
(Err on the side of underdone because the moistness of this is one of it's virtues)

9 comments

Sharmaine Ruth said...

Mmmm that looks delicious! I will definitely try it some time :) Fall always brings out the best cooking in everyone!

<3 Sharmaine Ruth
underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

Megan Wara said...

yummmm I think I am gonna have to make this!!

Erin Archer said...

Wow, that looks delicious. 

Kait Mattingly said...

mmm that looks so yummy. 

Kait xo
kaitgirl.blogspot.com

Karen said...

I've been looking for the ultimate cornbread recipe forever. This might just turn out to be it... I'll let you know :)

Jo said...

I'd make this in a heartbeat if I knew where to get some of those ingredients. Bummer.

Alexis said...

that seriously looks amazing! I was planning on making cornbread on monday but this looks so much better! Do you think it would your in pyrex? I don't have any cast iron!

http://alexislaughs.blogspot.com

Anne Marie said...

Yay! Time to throw some chili together in the crock pot.  Thanks for sharing!!!

veronica.veit said...

omgosh that sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing! I must try it!
~Veronica
www.addalittlespark.blogspot.com

© i believe in unicorns. Maira Gall.