The Perfect Summer Waffle

10.01.2011

I really, really like waffles. 
So much so that I would throw big Waffle Friendship Parties, and some of my friends called me 'waffles' in High School...is that embarrassing? Should I have not told you that? 
Probably shouldn't have, but it gets my point across.

What I'm trying to tell you, is that I have made a lot of different waffles in my life and I've tried even more, and when I tell you that this is the most deliciously, perfect, fluffy, divine, impress-all-your-friends, scrumbditiliuptious waffle heaven, you should believe me

Without further ado, my favorite recipe:


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh strawberries
bluebell vanilla ice-cream
Prepare:
1. Slice strawberries into a bowl, sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar, just so a bit of syrup can develop. Cover and place in fridge.

2. Prepare Waffles: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture; set aside.


2. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened; batter will be slightly lumpy.

3. Take ice-cream out, so it can soften a bit.


4. Preheat a Belgian waffle iron and spray with nonstick spray. Bake until waffles are completely done (you want them a bit crispy). Use a fork to remove finished waffles. Repeat with remaining batter. 

5. When the waffles are ready, spread on ice-cream, scoop on berries and drizzle a bit of maple syrup. Use as much or as little as you’d like. 

6. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

6 comments

RonelleCannon said...

These are my fav type of waffle as well. I love Milly's in Tucson for their vanilla ice cream and strawberry topped giant waffles. The Denver omlete is delish as well. I heard there's a new dessert place called the Awful Waffle on Center st in Provo! Next time I'm up there I'm for sure hitting it up. And I think you should too. (It was Courtney Kendricks (cjane)suggestion)

kylee said...

there is this place in salt lake called the belgian waffle. open 24 hrs 7 days a week. with a name like that, their belgian waffle is just as you would suspect, amaaaaazing. ice cream, fresh fruit & warm syrup. it is heavenly.

Liesl said...

That is the perfect summer waffle!  My fiancé loves waffles and I feel he would love this one too!  I hope you have a Super Sunday!

Liesl :)

Elaina Michelle said...

Oh my goodness those look amazing! Waffles are my favorite breakfast for sure, especially waffles with ice cream!

jade said...

i adore kylee(she's a friend of mine), but i know for a fact that the best waffles in salt lake city (and probably in utah) are available at bruges. the owner is belgian and serves waffles prepared with a dough (as opposed to a batter) infused with sugar crystals. they also sell european style french fries that are to die for. next time you're in salt lake city, please go. (if possible, go next summer on a saturday morning. walk across the street to the farmer's market and enjoy local talent and watermelon lemonade as you dine.)

Jo said...

As a Belgian I think I am entitled to decide if a waffle is good or not :) I tried this recipe and I approve. Haha. Thanks for sharing!

© i believe in unicorns. Maira Gall.