{For Fashion's Sake} Saturday: Week Military

10.16.2010

I saw this GI Joe when I walked outside this afternoon; so I felt like Military style was this {Fashion} Saturday destiny.

Earlier this week Marcus called me from school. 
He said he talked to a recruiter after his class.
 He told me that joining the military sounded cool (free school, cool uniforms, travel, early retirement, etc.).
I didn't say much. 
"Cool" wasn't exactly what I was feeling.
He said we'd talk about it later. 

The time between now and "later" brought about some weird feelings.
We did talk about it later...
I'm pretty sure he's not joining the Military. 

But that does not keep us from enjoying the 
structured beauty 
that the armed forces lend us:
Embellished Military Shoulder
^ I want that.

Shirt: Nordstrom's Rack (today)$16
Vigoss Cigarette Jeans: Nordstrom's Rack (today) $29
Leather-Studded Platforms: Hottie $33
Paratrooper Jumpsuit
Striped Cardi: Urban Outfitter $Gift
Yellow Braided Belt: Forever21 $3
Jumpsuit: Anthropologie $59
Dreamcatcher Pearl Earrings: Handmade $Gift


Vintage Khaki Canvas Dress: Thrifted (today) $6
Lace-Up Leather Heels: Urban Friends and Family Sale $40
Pearl Chandelier Earrings: Forever21 $3

Army Green Shirt: Charlotte Russe (today) $15
Blue Elastic Belt with Gold Buckle: Forever21 $4
Gold Bracelet: Forever21 $5
Distressed Jeans: TJ Maxx $15ish
Same Lace-Up Heals
Ahoy Captain

Vintage White and Navy Dress: Thrifted $4 
(I realize you can't really see the dress, but I didn't want the Navy to feel neglected...plus I love this picture.)
Sergeant Salute

Ruffle Shirt: Target $18
Military Vest: Wet Seal $17
Distressed Jeans: TJ Maxx $15ish
Red Patent-Leather, Gold-Studded Sandals: Target Sale Rack $2
Aviators: Blockbuster (in Hawaii) $5


What's Your Favorite Look?

14 comments

The HousewifeTravels said...

So...I'm glad the encounter with the recruiter brought this fabulous fashion to light. This hits a little close to home so I have to give a piece advice. My hubby mentioned wanting to join the military when we were at BYU. I instantly thought "no way" and I'm pretty vocal and dramatic. Turns out it really was his dream to be an Air Force pilot ever since he was a little boy. Now the time to make that dream come true has past. If we had really talked about it on several occasions I would have understood and warmed up to the idea.

He works as an a flight test engineer on those very same planes he loves so much but still longs to fly them. This may have nothing to do with your situation but I had to share just in case. Love the clothes. Keep the posts comin'. Great ideas.

Ashley Bagley Nielson said...

That's a really good point, I'll make sure I check out his feelings on that; but i'm pretty sure the main reason he wanted to do it was the free schooling and strangely, the uniform. haha
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You are adorable! I'm a boho kind of girl who can't have enough jeans and white t-shirts. Ok, not so boho, I know. Classics? Just not Talbots old lady looking classics.

Alexa Mae said...

Are you not the cutest girl this side of the Mississippi? I love all of your outfits. Perfection! Cute, cute blog.

Kathryn said...

We spent our first six years of marriage while he was in the US Navy and it was a very good experience for us. We never planned to make it a career.
The fashions are wonderful, but for obvious reasons, I like all things Navy!

lauren brimley said...

You pull off that jumpsuit PERFECTLY. You are my fashion icon!

Whitney said...

Jami and I were talking about how we want to be just like you. For serious. We are going to H&M today so please send positive fashion beams our way in hopes of becoming more like you.

Jess Cole said...

I love the Paratrooper Jumpsuit outfit and the Vintage Khaki Canvas Dress outfit they are so cute and the other outfits are awesome too.

Mikayla said...

I love the vintage tanish dress outfit soooooo cute!:)

Emily Bliss Beal said...

Oooooo!!!! I love the khaki canvas dress!!! Ahhh. Your blog is so beautiful!

-Emily

Ashley Bagley Nielson said...

thank you all so much!

Mikayla said...

I love the vintage tanish dress outfit soooooo cute!:)

lemon leaf said...

Oooooo!!!! I love the khaki canvas dress!!! Ahhh. Your blog is so beautiful!

-Emily

ash said...

That's a really good point, I'll make sure I check out his feelings on that; but i'm pretty sure the main reason he wanted to do it was the free schooling and strangely, the uniform. haha
Thanks for sharing.

© i believe in unicorns. Maira Gall.