my mama taught me...

3.21.2012

this wedding was a DIY wedding, because my mom taught us we could create anything we could imagine, and we've pretty much always believed that. 
afterall, we're each pretty closely related to one pretty fantastic Creature
Leisel put me in charge of all the chalkboard art
the sister-in-laws made all the delicious bruschetta and salads
Leisel collected glassware from thrift stores and sale racks for months
the flowers were ordered wholesale, succulents found at home depot, and the random greenery was collected from abandoned alleyways. the giant chalkboard was a large piece of backer-board sprayed with chalkboard paint.
tables were rented and decorated by leisel and i.
the fabric banner was made by leisel from walmart sheets and rope, furniture was thrifted.
many family members and friends worked on the baby-jar chandeliers that were hung from a 200 year old tree.
the cake was made by a talented friend of ours, mrs. samantha.

and both of leisel's dresses were made by my mother the week of the wedding. this one from a tablecloth, turned curtains, turned heavenly wedding dress. ya, she's pretty amazing, that women.

23 comments

Reachel Bagley said...

i think andrew echoed your opening statement about elaine almost verbatim yesterday.  i'm glad your mom made you all so talented and confident.  the wedding was magical.

Just Call Me Joan said...

Beautiful!

Aiketa said...

Wow, I'm absolutely impressed!!! Your wedding was just beautiful and your sister's was too; and the amazing thing here is that you all designate and created everything. Such a family of talented people! 

Alyx said...

So beautiful! 

Courtney Johnson said...

My mouth was wide open the whole time reading and looking through these pictures in amazement. This is exactly what I have envisioned my wedding to look like...

Her wedding dress is also stunning. Good job to all! :)

Charlotte Parker said...

Wow! You guys did great! Give yourself a pat on the back!

lucinda47 said...

I was actually going to ask where her wedding dress was from. I would love to wear something like that at my wedding! That is AMAZING that your mom made it! It's absolutely gorgeous. 

Emily said...

This wedding is gorgeous!  You are all amazing and that dress is to die for!

creamyclothes.blogspot.com

modernmodestbeauty said...

Oh my goodness...this wedding was PERFECTION.  I really wish I could redo my wedding, now that we have the amazing invention of Pinterest (mine was over 6 years ago).  You did a great job on the chalk art and I LOVE those succulents!
Modern Modest Beauty

kikicbrownee said...

You are amazing at those chalk signs!! What kind of chalk did you use and where did you get those colors? I do all the chalk signs at my work and have been pretty into it lately, but I have limited colors and it's hard to find more anywhere else. And seriously, for a vintage/thrifted wedding, it looks amazing! You guys all did a spectacular job (esp. your mom with making the dresses!). :)

Leslietheyellowgirl said...

Oh my gosh. I am amazed by the dress. AMAZED.

modernmodestbeauty said...

I would love if you would add this to the Lovely Things Thursday linky party!
http://www.modernmodestbeauty.com/2012/03/lovely-things-thursday-linky-party-322.html

Kristinchaos said...

Wow!!! SO lovely!! 

Amanda A. said...

That dress is amazing and so beautiful! You guys did a wonderful job on everything. I am so impressed by your artwork.

Jo said...

What a gorgeous wedding. Your sister looks stunning and those dresses. Oh my! I wish I had it in me to DIY our July wedding but alas ... I don't. :)

Lisa Travers said...

WOW! You guys really came together for an amazing day! Your mum is seriously talented with a sewing machine :D It all looks so beautiful! 

sammyzee1234 said...

wow every picture is amazing! what a beautiful wedding!

Kayde said...

All of this is amazing and the dress!! you guys did an amazing job

Megan Robinson said...

seriously amazing!!

Jessica Inman said...

Each detail is beautiful!  What a lovely family and wedding!

typed_for_miles said...

Your mother made that gorgeous dress?! Amazing! This whole wedding is just perfect. :)

Amanda Gladd said...

Your mom should go into a wedding dress business.. Honestly, I would buy the short dress in a heartbeat!

Williamseinp said...

All of this is amazing and the dress!! you guys did an amazing job

© i believe in unicorns. Maira Gall.