our appointment with mr. sloan

1.18.2012

 
I am a planner, a meticulous planner, but sometimes you just have to throw your check lists out the window and jump on opportunities as they come.
Every since the first time i laid eyes on one of the Sloans photoshoots, i was in love. 
They were the epitome of photographer perfection.
They clearly see the world in a different way with their angles, perspectives, eye for patterns and shapes and the obvious knowledge of the tools they possess.
I emailed them once, in hopes of booking a shoot, but schedules and budgets didn't quite work, so I gave up on having their art in my home for the time being. 
Then one Thursday evening I got an email from Matt Sloan.
He would be in town for Saturday and Sunday only and was booking a few mini-sessions for a discounted price. He had remembered that I had shown interest and was extending the invitation.
I thought I was going to die. I wanted it so bad and it was such a sweet deal, but I had so little time to prepare for this dream shoot, not to mention my hair hadn't been down in months and I had two massive pimples right by my mouth, but I felt like this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I said YES!
He said he'd text me the location a few hours before, so I ran around like a crazy chicken...(have you ever seen a crazy chicken?) anyways, it was not pretty. I was a mess.
But when the text came saying the shoot would be taking place at the Tempe Art Center, my heart leapt--what were the chances that he would choose the very place that Marcus and I danced in the water? The very place I thought I could be falling in love with him, the place where my theory was validated and that my universal message had found it's recipient?
At this point, I tucked away my crazy chicken feathers and enjoyed the serendipity of it all. Matt had no idea he had chosen such a perfect spot, but being back there brought back so many good memories.
I couldn't be more pleased with the pictures--I must say, if you ever have the chance to work with the Sloans, please jump on it! They are the BEST!
(Next time i hope to meet Angie!)
And here's a little case in point for you: ya'll, we were standing in the middle of a parking lot full of cars, with direct overhead lighting--I honestly thought Matt was CRAZY as he was shooting these. What could he be seeing that was worth shooting?...and when i saw this I bowed to his perspective. Amen.

39 comments

talley said...

wow i LOVE these!  you both look amazing!  and i love your hair! 
the bridge crossing one is totally my favorite.  so sweet!

Sue Kleine said...

So lovely.

Melanie Helmstetter said...

Oh wow! I have to say, being a photography student and loving photography, I often get bored at the portrait-photographers out there. Most use the same poses lighting and perspective. But these, are amazing! Love them love them love them. 

You two look absolutely georgeous :)

xoxoxo
Melanie

Irene Navajas said...

i really love those pictures! you look like magical!

kitsune-kun said...

beautiful! how lucky for you! I think I want to foray into the couples photography world actually....seems hard to get started though.

Jennifer Ray said...

You two are so cute!
Great photos!!!

Kassie Rew said...

These are amazing.
The last one is my favorite! 

Olivia Ramirez said...

gorgeous photos.

Lorraine Engebretsen said...

These pictures are gorgeous!!

Freya Dian said...

these are gorgeous pics! you guys are one good lookin' couple. we are in serious need of some couple pics like these. and how cool it ended up at such a special place for you guys!

sincerelyfreya.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

Wow, these pictures are gorgeous! He's an amazing photographer!

Jenn

passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com

Bethall said...

Yes, they are the cream of the crop. best of the best. I went to high school with Angie and she is a doll. someday I would love to have them take our pics as well!
They look amazing, by the way.

jessica said...

WOW! gorgeous, gorgeous images! i love the ones on the boat. and your outfit! beautiful! 

Jessica Inman said...

What a fun surprise!  The pictures are beautiful!

Lisa Travers said...

These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the Sloan's work! They really are pure talent. 

smhaven said...

Great pictures!  They turned out beautifully!

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Ashley Nielson said...

thank you so much! and you're right, they're super talent!

Ashley Nielson said...

thank you so much!

Ashley Nielson said...

thanks girl!

malia said...

some photographers have the eye, and the magic! lovely.
-m

elledoubleyouu said...

These are magical! Totally worth the chicken feather moments :)

♥ LW
http://elledoubleyouu.blogspot.com

Dani Shapiro said...

These photos are heavenly, so is your hair, so are you & Marcus. So much love. <3

Jennifer Thomas said...

You guys are by far the most photogenic people I know. Beautiful photography. Love them all. And that last one.... man. SO GOOD!

Briannadupuy said...

These pictures are great, and I am so happy that you were able to get them done...yet... meaning no disrespect at all.... the pictures the two of you take seem just as good, if not better. But then again, you both are so beautiful it would be hard to take a bad photo...  ;)

Briannadupuy said...

oops I meant the pictures you two take of yourselves are just as good, if not better....

Malin said...

beautiful!!

brittany lewis said...

you guys are so adorable! i love these pictures, they're gorgeous.

Rachel Frakes said...

beautiful! so glad it worked out for you!!

Kate Lines said...

Oh hooray! The Sloans have been my favorite for 5 years. These photos are great.  (I know I've said this so many times but I am obsessed with your hair) 

Kate Lines said...

p.s. my sister and I were talking on the phone a few days ago and she asked if I had ever read your blog... then we talked about how charming and real you are and that you "magical unicorn finds" is about the best tab EVER. 

tani said...

Seriously, Amen. These are beautiful. 

Ashley Nielson said...

Kate! You're the best! I had just read a not very nice comment about me and your comment just obliterated the rude one and brought the happy back :) thank you!! Also, so glad you appreciate the unicorn tab. It's pretty much my favorite thing about my blog. In fact I have a few treasures I need to add to that... Hope you're doing well!

wishful nals said...

just gorgeous!

Afancydayblog said...

These are perfection! I just found your blog and am loving it!

Afancydayblog said...

These are perfection! I just found your blog and am loving it!

Jessica Stephens said...

I think you are the happiest looking couple I have ever seen. You two are absolutely perfect together.

Mara said...

ahh these photos are beautiful! You two are really the most gorgeous couple! I love that this location had such a special meaning to you also :) You have to get one (or two!) of these framed asap!!

Ashley Nielson said...

Mara! You ARE the sweetest! Thank you do much :)

Kilean Hernandez said...

oh my GASH. these are perfect. 

© i believe in unicorns. Maira Gall.